Sunday, September 15, 2013

A comment about the comments

The comments in question are not the comments on this blog, which are mostly Forsythia's welcome and supportive comments.  But I have been reading the emails that I have been receiving from the post on the Listserve on Friday.  There are over 200 of them, and most took me up on the offer to ask me any kind of question about relationships.

The questions have come from all over the world,literally: China, Portugal, Brazil, UK, Australia, Italy, South Africa, India, and at least twenty U.S. states.  I believe I have heard from every continent that is not covered in ice.  Some of the questions are very specific and about the relationship the questioner is in.  Some are very general and ask for the kind of general guidance that I am reluctant to give. And others are from people who are dealing with emotional difficulties, the kind that I deal with in my office.  In fact, I hope to make a few referrals if i get more specific information of where the questioner is located.

Many people state in their email that they have not  sought help, and have not asked their question before.  Several have said that they feel more comfortable asking someone who they don't really know, who is hundreds of miles away.

Again, it shows how much confidentiality, and the fear of being judged plays such an important role in establishing a therapeutic relationship; any relationship really.

I hope that over the next few weeks I will have time and permission to post some of the questions, and my marvelously wise answers here.  But now I have to go and change my grandson's diaper.

Be patient kid, you're acting like you're two weeks old.  Oh, right.......

No comments: