Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Listserve

A year or two ago, someone in NYC began an Internet project called The Listserve.  He or she got about 24,000 people to sign up to get an email a day from a randomly selected person who had subscribed.  I have been reading these emails fro about a year.

A two days ago I was randomly selected.  What I posted is written below.  But before you read that I want you to notice that at the end of the post I invited people to ask me any question they wanted, since you already know how impressed I am with my own knowledge.

Well, so far, less than two days later, I have received over 200 comments and questions.  In the coming days I will post some of the question I received, and my very clever answers.  That will be easier than thinking up things on my own.

Here is what I posted:


Hello Listserve:

            I am considerably older than most of those who have already posted 
their messages on this site, and thus I have lost most of my armor of idealism .  
Much of this is due to the experiences I have had working as a Psychologist in 
Massachusetts mill cities for almost forty years.  I feel I have seen almost 
everything humanity can offer.  I no longer question whether something is good 
or bad; I just see it as fascinating.

            There is nothing anyone can do that would surprise me any more.  
Anything my wildest imagination can produce someone out there is doing it, and 
they are doing it thinking it will bring them happiness or satisfaction.  Most 
of the time it doesn’t.

            I would give you all advice, because I know, better than Dr. Phil, 
what you should do with your life, but more than that I know that you wouldn’t 
listen. That's not how people change.  Change has to come through emotional 
experience.  Perhaps in three years you might think back and say, “maybe that 
guy was on to something.”

            I am a big believer in the saying “When the student is ready, the 
teacher appears.”

            Humans are a work in progress, an intriguing but flawed species.  If 
you haven’t realized by now, please take notice: the world is almost always run 
by character-disordered people.  Kings, Queens, generals, presidents, tyrants, 
business leaders, billionaires, market movers, and celebrates are usually 
greedy, power-hungry narcissists, or else they have that missionary zeal and are 
self-righteous.  That’s not always true, only about 90% of the time.

            Most people are basically kind and caring. They want to get along, 
have a few satisfying relationships – which is difficult enough-- contribute 
something to the good of the world and then relax and enjoy their family and 
friends.  But then someone comes along who wants to grab power and take control  
of everyone and everything.  He (it almost always is a he) identifies some small 
difference as a huge threat, then gathers a group of devoted followers to save 
his people from it, and everything goes downhill from there.   Just look at 
history, and look at what’s going on now.

            As I said, I am old, I am wise, and I know everything about human 
relationships.  If you want an answer just send me the question.  I won’t expect 
you to take my advice.

No comments: