Friday, July 10, 2015

I said to Them (last time)

Intro:
Below is a bit I recently posted on a list for practicing Psychologists.  In my last post I mentioned that I was worried about the future of my profession and this describes my concern.
As usual I was mostly ignored or else told to shut-up.  At present, most psychologists in private practice are much more concerned about how they really don't fit into the changing health care system, and how their compensation is being reduced.
What I wrote is consistent with what I've been writing about for the last few years: that change is difficult, especially if it means a reduction in pay and learning new skills. Of course it is easier for me to say this all now because I no longer count on the money I make seeing patients.
It is also very possible that I am not just an outlier, or a perceptive critic who makes people uncomfortable, but just a cantankerous old man.
So be it!

Here is what I wrote:


When I was in grad school I drove a cab.  I had to make change quickly, and give people their money in denominations so that they could give some back to me.  Now no one makes change any more. Also, the taxi business is being destroyed by Uber.  Uber drivers don't give change.  Uber riders don't give tips. Yes, there are big problems with Uber, and taxis may, or may not give better service.  Pretty much the market decides. Taxis, just another profession that's disrupted.

I don't think there is, or should be a free market for mental health services.  The people who need it the most often can't afford it, don't know how to get it, don't know they need it, or don't want it. I also think that almost everyone on this list does an excellent job of doing what they can to improve the lives of their patients.  I think that many of will successfully develop a way to support yourselves, using the skills that they have.  If you do that, one of those skills needs to be in marketing.  The APA will give you some help in doing that, but 88% is up to you. (not a scientific %)

I have been in Independent Practice for about 35 years, doing mostly psychotherapy. Due to my age, a bit of financial stability, the changes in health care, and the sudden appearance of four grandchildren I have dramatically limited the number of clinical hours I do, and how I do them.

But, during the last ten years I have become aware of how much I felt the limitations of what my skills were, while also feeling ( of course ) that my skills were equal or better than anyone out there.  I did a lot of reading, exploring, talking and even taking courses in other fields. I now feel even more strongly that the advances in fields such as cognitive psychology, brain science, neurology, epidemiology, genetics, and now, epigenetics, and even criminology, architecture and paleontology offer insights into the determinants of behavior that most psychologists don't pay attention to.  Most of these fields have used new technologies and Big Data to peer into brains and bodies, to find patterns and relationships that were not even conceived of before the turn of the new millennium. 

Also, people's lives are very different.  People work differently, communicate differently, and form different types of relationships. Yes, I still think that having a safe, trusting, confidential therapeutic relationship  can be very comforting, and also produce many positive results. But really, it is not going to meet the needs of our fast-paced, stressful society. Also, several studies show, you don't necessarily need Ph.D. to be good at it.

I feel very strongly that if Clinical Psychology as a health profession is going to be relevant in ten years, we had all learn to combine our knowledge with other fields of study, to find ways of intervening on different levels, such as families, communities and health. We need to lean about mind-brain-body-genetic-environmental interactions.  Human behavior turns out to be very complex.  That's not a big surprise to anyone on this list. But there are tools and knowledge out there that did not exist when I was in grad school, and which hardly get even a passing mention in most of the current psychological literature.

Amazon, Facebook, Walmart and American political parties have become more skilled at influencing and shaping human behavior than both academic and clinical psychologist. That worries me.

Every time someone takes out a gun and kills a bunch of people in a movie theater, an elementary school, a high school, a college, a mall, a parking lot, a military base, a post office,  at his office, at a temple, a beauty parlor, a church, on his friends, on his family, or at a mental health clinic, just to name some of the recent ones, everyone says, "He had mental problem."
Well, what are we going to do about that? Isn't that our job?

I'm sure we can do a lot, and that's a lot of what we should be doing.

*    *     *     *     *     * 

That's what i said to them.The ones who replied mostly defended psychodynamic psychotherapy. Psychodynamic psychotherapy is fascinating for both the clinician and the patient.  It can also be very comforting.  But it often goes on for years and is not effective for people who are being smashed by life.

But I won't bother them again.  I will seek a more persuasive outlet.  Until then, I'll just occasionally spew it out here.

Thanks for enduring this one more time.

No comments: