Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Adaptation?

We, as humans, certainly don't have it worked out yet.

Continuing on this theme of trying to figure out how much we have control over our own lives, one thing that has to be considered is how our hormonal drives make us crazy.

My speculative conclusion, based on repeated anecdotal evidence from my own practice,as well as from observing the people in the rest of my life, is that I see too many examples of the excesses of an evolutionary adaptive behavior.

One of, if not the most basic function we have driving us is to reproduce and to attempt to populate the world with our own progeny. Therefore it is important for the males to attempt to maximize the chances of their babies survival, even at the cost of other men's babies. Perhaps that explains much of the crazy primitive behaviors that seem so irrational and so out of control.

So many men go wild with jealousy once they have become sexually involved with a woman. They become controlling, restrictive, dominating,intimidating, paranoid and often violent. And too often, for too long a time, the women will come to me and say something like "Yes, he broke my jaw, but I still love him."

What the hell does that mean?

The men too, if they come to talk to me at all, will say, "I really didn't mean to hit her, but she wasn't listening." Which means she wasn't obeying his wishes that she give up everything in her life and tend to his needs and insecurities.

This is not just a lower class thing, it happens so often, and to so many couples, especially during those fertile years. Uber-Alpha males protecting their territory, and women being attracted to the scent of the Alpha.

Then, more often than not, when the marriage does end. The men become terrible parents, if they bother to stay around at all. Many of them, not the majority but many, just disappear and go on and get other women pregnant.

I guess the hormonal drive is directed at quantity rather than quality.

It certainly makes for another generation of business for me.

1 comment:

skinnylittleblonde said...

UGh...it's sad & true.
My peers seem to be waiting later & later to marry & to have children.
It does seem that all too often it's the wrong people pro-creating time & time again.
I know a young woman who has had 3 children removed by DFCS, one by one. each time she has a child removed... she gets preganant again.