Friday, November 03, 2006

Ya'Think?

Yesterday, Thursday, was a busy day for me.. Many people came to visit me in my office and tell me stuff.

One person told me that knew they should stop drinking. So, I said, "Good idea, stop drinking. Ten beers and two shots of Jack every night for thrity-six years is probably not making you fun to be around, and it isn't good for your future health."

A woman told me she thought she should get out of her marriage. The man she loves constantly scrams at her, gets in her face, breaks her dishes, swears at her, threatens her and even brandished a knife. After a lengthy discussion I explained to her how to call the cops and what to expect.

Later, a couple sat before me; the woman was outaged, the man was tearful and full of remorse. "I didn't mean to do it," he said It just happened."

"It just happened!?!" she screamed back at him. "You just happened to be naked on top of a naked woman sticking yourself inside of her? That just happened? You didn't mean it? "

We, all of us, are people. People are supposed to be the most rational of creatures, and maybe we are. But if we are it doesn't seem to be something we take advantage of much of the time.

If we have free will, and we can do what we want, why doens't that first client just stop drinking? When will the second one decide it's time to leave? Why didn't that loving husband realize the consequences of his actions, and act accordingly?

Or, do we really have more in common with ants and homing pidgins and just roll out the behaviors that have been designed by our genetic material?

Where did I get the blogger gene?

I will answer all of these questions soon, meantime, talk among yourselves.
DJB

2 comments:

skinnylittleblonde said...

All people make mistakes, some folks learn from them, grow from them while others deny or validate them.
LOL, when my DH got caught cheating & he said he 'didn't mean to do it, didn't mean to hurt me...etc' I had to help him clarify his thoughts...he didn't mean to get caught. Once he could get honest with himself, his choices & motivations...we could get honest with each other, our choices & our motivations. We live & learn. We make poor-choices sometimes & that's okay, that's life. Life is for living, learning & loving.
It's when the learning gets compromised, that everything else starts to shutter away.
great post!

Ms. Meander said...

had a friend once upon a time. she decided to start an affair with her best friend's husband. eventually they were discovered. sobbing to me via instant message one day, she was all "I never meant to hurt her!"

"No," I said, "You chose to IGNORE the fact that you were hurting her, because you wanted to do what you wanted to do."

She pretty much never spoke to me again. Which is ok, because that best friend? Wasn't the first one she'd done that to.