Thursday, April 19, 2007

and another thing

Two things that bothered me today:

First, it bothers me when people lie to me. I know that when you get into a relationship you want a person who becomes important to you to think you are worthy so sometimes you shade the truth, but come on. I'm your therapist. If you have been drinking again, tell me, don't imply it or dance around it. If you lost your job because you told you boss to fuck-off, tell me what happened, don't try and spin it. These are the issues we are dealing with. Part of therapy is trying to deal with the world as it is. I won't get angry. I won't give-up on you, but I need to know what we are dealing with.

Second, and worse.
I begin to deal with a client or a couple. We begin to get to issues. It's the second, fourth or tenth session and they change or lose their job and lose their insurance. Or they were unemployed or the COBRA runs out, or they can't afford it. Or, worse, they become disabled, and since they paid for good disability insurance, they receive too much money to be eligible for Medicaid. They can buy insurance for 40% of their monthly gross income. So they are gone. The therapy ends while they are in crisis and need it the most.

I can only see a few people on a sliding scale. It shouldn't be left up to me to decide who gets treatment.

The American system of private health insurance still really sucks and is getting worse.

How many CEOS of major health care organizations, insurance companies, HMOs, large private hospitals, etc are making $1M to 22M? I don't begrudge them their salaries, but I think that everything over $350,00 should be taxed at 70%.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

The insurance mess has been going on for so long, one would think that SOMEONE would come up with a decent alternative to the current procedures----other countries have managed, and while I am sure that their's isn't the perfect system, it has to be better than what we deal with here. Those that need help the most are the very ones denied most of the time. And dr's (and therpist's)cannot work for free---nor should they be expected to.

Anonymous said...

Theoretically, taking money from the rich by taxing them 70% is just as fair as you giving a sliding scale to at least half of your clients. Why should we pick and choose who loses their money? We all want more money, we all ask for raises, we all want tax breaks, etc. Doesn't seem fair to take money from the rich when we are all aspiring to be there one day.

Not to mention, if we tax them 70%, our pay and jobs could be gone as they couldn't afford to pay us. No thank you on that idea. It makes absolutely no sense.