Wednesday, November 19, 2008

results of financial meltdown

I get to see some of the unexpected fallout from the downturn in American personal wealth. Yes, I have to deal with couples who have re-financed to pay their credit cards and now they can't pay their mortgage and their house isn't worth what they owe. Then they get tense and blame each other for it. All that stuff is commonplace.

What I see now are some things that are a bit unusual. I have two (2) situations in which there are three adults living in one house. In one case a man and two women, and the other a woman with two men. In both cases there was a marriage that was not going well. The resulting emotional distance morphed into one person becoming involved with a person outside the marriage. What followed were the usual hurt, anger, arguments, threats and general disruption

Then, as is often the case, one person threatens to move out. The other says fine, I am bringing my lover in. BUT, there is not enough money to move out and pay for another place to live.

In one case a man is living in the basement while his wife is screwing some guy in what once was his bedroom. In the other case the "other" woman is sleeping on the couch, while the family, kids and all, goes on with life as usual, treating this woman as if she is invisible.

Not a very emotionally enriching situation, but it does show that diplomacy and compromise is better than living at the shelter.

I am not sure how either of these will end.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Compromise can go a long way. A very long way. I am a living example. But I think I'd stop short of that.

The potential of waking up with one's eyes gouged out is a bit too high for me.

Bongo said...

Happy Thanksgiving !