Monday, December 28, 2009

Hope and reality for '10

Getting ready for the new year. Full of hope and vim and vigor. High expectations for that championship season, that break-through discovery, the new romance, new job,new child, maybe even a warm day.

Just remember, and this is nothing personal, incompetence is everywhere. It isn't malicious, it doesn't have to be devious, it's just lots of mistakes, poor performance, distracted workers, bad software, misinformed, badly trained, or just plain sloppy.

That's why electronic records will cause as many problems as they solve, the air-conditioning only breaks when it's hot, the roof only leaks when it rains,luggage gets lost, and Saab is going out of business.

Here is one of my favorite examples. I have been getting rejection notices for a claim to an insurance company for which I am not a provider, and never was. This rejection is for people I have never seen, and for a procedure I don't do, and I am not qualified to do, and therefore have never billed for. But, the best part, is that I have been receiving this rejection notice once a week, every week, for twelve years! Yes fans, you read that right, twelve years.

Every two or three years I have made an attempt to stop it, just to save the mailman, and save a tree. But it is impossible to stop. Once, someone told me I could get them to stop if I repay the money that I was never given, about $94.

I decided not to do that.

So these notices will continue to come, once a week, long after I have retired, long after I have died, long after the insurance company has gone out of business. The paper will be put in recycling bins and be recycled to come out as rejection notices for a procedure I didn't do on people I never saw, at a place I have never been.

Enjoy the new year, but don't count on getting that much accomplished.

2 comments:

Lena said...

You kill me sometimes.

Warped Mind said...

That is so funny, it makes my battle with the mailman who keeps returning my mail because he is sure I have moved seem so simple.