Tuesday, March 30, 2010

and answers your questions

So, I have returned from the last of Paella, fortresses, cathedrals, and art. The art is either about Jesus or sex, but not both together. The cathedrals are usually built inside of the fortresses. Spain has a long history of fighting with invaders, such as Roman and Arabs. If no one was invading then they seemed to be able to fight amongst themselves. City against city, region against region, fascist against communist. Even now that has not completely calmed down, but the place certainly did not feel threatening. The biggest rivals now seem to be Real Madrid vs. The Barcelona Futbal Club, and that is pretty intense.
http://tvnz.co.nz/football-news/barca-s-keita-questions-real-rivals-3439634

The wine is cheap, the Mediterranean Sea was tranquil, as we could see from the deck of our spa in the olive grove outside of Tarragonia. The old, old cities (200BC or so) were pretty exotic. So give it a try.

Also, Susi asked about Xanex, and although I do not pretend to be Dr. Phil, or Dr. Oz, or Dr. Laura or Dr. Joy Brown, I will answer. From my answer you will see why I would never succeed like any of them.

The answer to Susi's question is that Xanex really works, often, for most people. Yes, it does become addicting, but it can be very helpful. Also, it is easily misused and can become very harmful.

But the effect that Susi felt, of it calming her anxiety is pretty much what it was designed to do. I have other clients who take Propranolol, which is a beta-blocker, which slows down the racing heart and can keep you can be calm in situations that usually make you tense.

Is it better to learn to clam yourself down --probably, but it really isn't that easy, especially if you are constitutionally sensitive and responsive.

So, if it works, and you use it sparingly, and don't start popping them just to drive in traffic, or just to get zoned out, then why not.

But, it probably wouldn't have saved any of your marriages. That's just a guess. I don't know how hard you were to live with.

3 comments:

KathyA said...

Oh, I don't know -- you're much more humorous than most of them...:)

Amanda said...

I'm glad it went well. Spain is so awesome.

The "learning to calm yourself" route took longest but it was the best one. Anything else started out as "sparingly" and ended up as an addiction.

Dreaming again said...

I took xanax for a very short period of time. My husband was in ICU and was not expected to live. He did, but we were in the hospital for 45 days and 2 years to recover.
I could not feel any distinct difference when I took it ..but the nightmares ceased and I was able to do things that I'd previously would have had panic attacks over.

My Psychiatrist said that meant I had a good dose.
Shortly after this, Dr. Phil and all his wisdom tells a guest who was taking a therapeutic level, and not daily that becuase "She couldn't feel it's effect" on her "was proof she was addicted"

That about floored me. How does that even make sense ...you're telling me I'm taking it to get high, but I'm telling you it doesn't make me high, but I can now do grocery shopping when I couldn't before ...but I'm addicted ...

oooooookay ..it's a good thing he encourages us to not substitute his judgment for our own!