Tuesday, March 02, 2010

What I've learned in my absence

Yeah, yeah, I went away and left you unattended, my dear blog.. I have been sitting here waiting to get started, and then things just kept happening. Yes, we tried to get away from the constant cold of February for a few days, and we were fairly successful. We found a spot that was warm, not hot, but warm. That was good enough. We did our taxes, that was a pain in the ass; numbers up numbers down, not much left over, send that to the government.

People in this country don't trust their government. They fight wars to protect their freedom to elect the government, and then they hate the government they have elected. They find it difficult to pay $400 a month for an inefficient, confusing program run by the government. They would rather pay $700 a month for what is pretty much the same program run by people who get rich off the extra money, usually by denying services.

But that brings me to other things that kept me busy over the past month. Writing more checks. There was Haiti, that was bad, and the cancer people, the diabetes people and so many other diseases. Then the orphans, from Haiti, Africa, Romania, Afghanistan, etc. There are refugees In Africa, in Asia, in the Middle East. Yes, there is the Middle East, with war victims, terror victims, endless peace initiatives, and educational projects. That is true close to home too, with hospitals, wounded veterans, homeless shelters, battered women's homes, all in need. And our schools too. City schools need support, kids need scholarship money, money for sports, money for computers, money for lunch.

So this is what I've learned since I've been away:

The World Sucks --- send a check.

3 comments:

KathyA said...

In spite of the sad truth, you made me chuckle. If only 'fixes' were that facile.

PS I'm leaving soon for a warmer clime -- again, not hot, but warmer....it'll do nicely.

Lena said...

Welcome home!

Amanda said...

I'd make a t-shirt out of that last sentence and send the proceeds to charity.