Sunday, March 14, 2010

Looking ahead

Here's the long and short of it.

Looking long-term, that's say two years. Things should be good for me and mine. That assumes that the rest of the world, including our government entitlement programs, the Capitalist money machines, the invading hordes of illegal aliens, the crazy Islamo-fascists, the crazy Tea-Party zealots, 5 members of the U.S. Supreme Court, and members of the local gentry don't finally push us all passed the tipping-point and over the edge.

My life is changing as I enter the age of government entitlements. Soon I will have the option of soaking out more from my government than I put in, but I don't think I will jump for that soon. Also, there are good signs that things in my family may be changing and, if all goes well, the cycle of life will continue. This is something I am wildly in favor of, despite what I have seen of human nature.

Closer in time, in another week we are leaving this continent temporarily, to experience other places, some we have never seen before. I am not one for high risk, body exerting, macho-proving trips. Nor do I care for highly uncomfortable, but proper eco-tourism, to see the exotic, while not disturbing anything, even the mosquitoes and snakes. No, we are going to Madrid and Barcelona, to drink wine, eat the paella, and watch the people who go to the beaches, parks and museums.

But, before I go I have 34 appointments. Business has been very busy this year, despite all the trashing of my profession that has gone on in the media. But the media trashes on everything now, so I guess no one listens. Of the 34 people or couples, I will be pleased to see 28, three are boring, and three are such a pain in the ass that they take up 75% of my extra effort. It only takes a couple of self-absorbed lunatics to muddy all the waters.

Last week I saw a woman I had not seen in 26 years. During that period I had seen her daughter, and two of that daughter's four children, who have all grown-up now, and seem to be doing better than I would have expected. The woman herself, who is 75 now, at first also seemed better than expected, but as she continued to explain her current situation, she brought up the secret cable that had been inserted in her brain and attached to her private parts, and they still use to get her stimulated. But, I couldn't help but admire the survival skills that helped her survive in this cruel and threatening world.

4 comments:

Lena said...

Have a great trip, relax and enjoy!

Amanda said...

I feel the same way about vacations. Spain is awesome.

And yes, it's amazing what humans can accomplish against all odds.

KathyA said...

We loved Barcelona -- wonderful people, great restaurants -- walked everywhere and also took advantage of their great public bus system. I hope you have a very good time.

PS Not sure I understand the reference to the wiring?

libelula said...

Hi Doc~
Long time, no comment but glad you're updating while tending to the relationship/mentally under-privileged; traveling, keeping up with your family, the world-at-large and what-not!

Anyway, I've got a comment to make and a question to ask: the other day I had this really confrontational meeting to attend and I popped a Xanax right before. I was quite shocked by the effect: I no longer experienced the dry-mouth, shaky hand syndrome that I normally suffer when my adrenaline starts to pump.

It was awesome! I was well prepared, which must have helped but what was amazing is that none of the usual signs of tension showed at all!!!

I caught myself thinking that had I knwon about this miracle drug I might have never gotten divorced - thrice - and I could have saved myself a lot of uncomfortable moments due to the way my own reactions betray my otherwise 'in control'self so here's the question: Is it really true that Xanax is NOT habit-forming?

I hope you get a chance to reply because as much as it's been a life-changing experience to keep my wits about me under pressure, I don't want to take any chances with those pessky chemically-enhanced side-effects...

Enjoy yourself while we hold the fort and eat as much Paella as you can, which coincidentally is my catering business' signature dish so I can't wait to read your reviews...Que le vaya bien en la Tierra Madre!!!