Friday, July 30, 2010

Must have been something he said

That was quite a week wasn't it?  Just buzzed passed so fast you'd  think it was one of those old Camaros, you know, the ones before the first gas crisis, the ones with the big engines, the little body and rear-wheel drive, that would spin out a lot and were fatal on snow.  Yep. that's the kind of week it was. varrrom.

 And everyone showed up, almost, except for Danny, who really has not made much progress in 18 months.  But why should he, his parents still pay for everything.  He gets angry when they won't give him his allowance, even if he did spend last week's money on cocaine.

But everyone else.  Angela brought in her husband. They have been separated for two months. He was angry, dominating, and mean. He was outspoken and direct and it was clear what he expected things to happen his way.  That's why Angela kind of snuck around behind his back.  She felt she could never negotiate with him, he just rode right over anything she said.  But running up $45, 000 in secret credit cards did kind of come as a shock.  Especially since it was the third time she promised never to do that again. I think that is a very American form of pathology; I have seen it much more often than I expected.

I had one open hour, but Stan called and needed to come in ASAP.  I have not seen Stan for four years.  Stan has not worked for four years.  He's had some problems.  He's been jumpy, irritable, depressed and isolated.  He doesn't finish things, he drinks a bit too much, and he has temper outbursts -- all of which made keeping a job difficult.  He couldn't come to treatment earlier because he didn't have insurance.  Now that he has completely run out of money he can get insurance from the State.

Stan showed me his arm.  He had a scar with seven stitches.  He turned his arm over and showed me another scar with four stitches.  The second one is where the knife came out.  It must have been something he said.

Marla lost two pounds, now she is six pounds under four-hundred -- but it's a start -- I think.

Alicia and Martin: still no sex.

Phoebe, out of the hospital and into a one-month residential treatment program.  Out of that in three days after when she told them she was very upset and did not feel safe alone, the one staff member handed her a coloring book and went back to talking on her phone.  Phoebe is going into a day program for two weeks.

Those and twenty-eight others: loss, loneliness, addictions, stress, conflict, illness, doubt, broke, bored or burdened.

My last appointment was Sheila and Mark.  They came in snarling and tense.  They left tearful and arm in arm.  A good end to the week.

Today I spent time in the kayak, bobbing up and down on the slow rolling not very high waves.  The cormorants were back in their usual positions, on a rock, with their wings spread out to dry. As I drifted I could hear the noise of running screaming and laughing on the beach. The sun was moving lower, turning the few clouds pink.

I am very aware that I am a week older. I am very aware that I can't stop time.

It was a good week.  I love summer, even if the Red Sox suck.

The dance continues, doesn't it Mr. Fellini?

1 comment:

KathyA said...

Yes, all those weeks I spent waiting for the weekends to come have indeed added up.
A lovely end to such a frothy week.