Friday, July 16, 2010

What's so funny about...

What happened to this week?  Whooosshhh, just like the sound of my iPhone sending an text.  Gone, zipped off with hardly a trace.  I went back to work, each day was full of people coming and going at the wrong times, wanting more time, missing appointments since I was out a week. Everything seemed off schedule. Two new people who had to wait for me to return, didn't even show-up.   Too long to wair?

It shouldn't be that hard.  I was there, in the office, every day, on time.  But when your life is a mess nothing is easy.

"I understand that your aunt hung herself in the next apartment and died leaving two children, aged ten and six, but your appointment was at 1, and somehow you forgot?  But that's OK because the person who was scheduled for tomorrow at 1 showed-up for your appointment, so I can see you tomorrow.  I guess everything happens for a reason -- but I'm not sure I can say that about your aunt.

A week off has a lot to be said for it, especially when it's hot and humid and you're down by the water.  But it really isn't as interesting as sitting here being amazed by stories of how people screwed up their lives during the time I was away.  Loneliness, illness, stress, conflict, addictions, death and general stupidity are the basic diagnostic categories I work with, but they don't come with billing codes.  And the last one applies to both the insurance companies and the current chaos of health-insurance reform.

 Life is complex.  It can be difficult and unforgiving.  Our society does not make it easy or offer much relief.  Jobs are scarce, money is tight, and important things, like an education, are getting wildly expensive.  The feeling out there is like riding on the sleigh in the winter in old Russia.  If you fall behind the wolves will get you and tear you apart.  The rich and well-protected have no trouble going on without you.  They have learned how not to look back.

This has always been true. We all can justify what we do to take care of ourselves.  For some reason, when I was a naive child of the '60s I had the strong belief that everyone wanted that to change.  There was no reason why it shouldn't.  We were smart, educated, rich and aware.  Make Love Not War! 

"What's so funny about Peace, Love and Understanding?"

I still don't know the answer, but I fear that everyone else does.

3 comments:

Forsythia said...

Wow! What a chilling image of our society. Those without means being pushed off the sleigh to divert the wolves. Straight out of "THe Brothers Karamazov."

I recently had a go-round with the insurance company. They denied my second claim because they said I was required to get "prior approval" each year in order to receive mental health services. They had paid the first claim, because I HAD received prior approval and had a letter to prove it. I said to them, "I see my psychiatrist four times a year. I am doing my best to ration my health care. Its delaying tactics like this that raise costs."

"We'll send this over to our other department and you should receive reimbursement within three weeks."

"Do you need the case number from the approval letter?"

"No, we already have that on file."

Good grief.

Raine said...

Peace love and understanding are ideals we should strive for. I dont think its funny at all

Amanda said...

I blame it on USA going off the gold standard in '71. :D