Thursday, May 19, 2011

Agreeing with Amanda

Hey, don't get me wrong either, I'm not actually complaining that I have too much time and enough money.
I'm just saying that it's weird.

I've worked pretty hard most of my life.  I can't say I worked very hard. There are times I know that if I were more persistent, more driven, and more willing to put in the time to network and market, that perhaps I could have been better known, perhaps I could have been one of the "names" in psychology.  I know as much as they do.  I could have constructed a four-box model and written a book about it.

The models I build were mostly sixteen box models, with each box interacting with each other, with varying intensity, which differed under different circumstances.  People thought I was very insightful, but that my stuff was too complex.

True, I said, then I went and played basketball. I played basketball because I really enjoyed playing basketball.  I played basketball until I was 55.  I can still shot pretty well.  But I can't run too well any more, or play defense.

I always thought of myself as a wild guy, with crazy, far out ideas, outlandish perspectives, and novel approaches.  All of this was true in my head.

However the life I led was much more of a tortoise than the hare. As  therapist I tried to get people to anticipate the consequences of their actions, not just for the immediate, but for three, four, five steps ahead.  I really put that into practice for myself.

Generally, more than not, it worked very well.  I avoided doing many stupid things. But I also skipped quite a bit of drama and excitement.  I don't drink too much.  I don't bet on long shots.  I don't get in fights.  I don't jump off cliffs.  I don't expect the chambermaid to do anything but clean the room.

And because of that I'm still married to the same woman.  My kids are great kids, who are married to great people and now are having great kids.

Also, I have been very lucky.  That helps a lot.  I can't take personal credit for luck.  I have been mostly very healthy.  My own parents were nice people who cared about me.  I did one great thing in my life; I was born two years before the baby boomers.  It helped me buy things cheap and sell them for more money.  Schools, jobs, stocks, houses, were easier for me to get because I was ahead of the competition. It made me brilliant!

Now, because of all that, I am settled and comfortable. (too bad)

But life is a process, not a game with a score and a beginning and end.  I have had many clients who were the ne're do well sons of rich families.  They had the money and the opportunity, but they didn't know how to struggles.  They could always chose what they wanted to do.  They often chose to do very little, and they felt very badly about themselves because they felt their lives consisted of one cop-out after another.

I am very fortunate that things have worked out for me.  I have time, health and resources.  I can choose what I want to do.  I want to make that choice.  I don't want to just let it all evolve.

Maybe solving the Israel - Palestine problem is a little out of my reach, but I am still working, and some of the couples I see are just as intractable.

And then I pick up my round-faced little granddaughter and she smiles up and me, and I never want to put her down.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Yes, I know that what you have now largely depends on having done the right thing, over a long period of time.

And I admire that.

Which is why I hope to have something similar when and if get to that age. (We are truly nothing without our health.)

Perhaps this may be time for you to take some small risks you'd have avoided 20 years ago.

Like writing a book like you write here in the blog. You are perfectly able to write in a simple yet insightful way and you've proven it here.

This would not cheapen the message at all, just make it more accessible.

Sam said...

I love the way you write, we both seem to write very stream of conscious. - your newest follower