Tuesday, October 24, 2006

About the money

Now that UBH is buying Pacificare, the mental health of many more millions of people will be overseen by a huge national company that pays therapists at a terrible rate. As I mentioned below, this organization is not known for it's ethics or it's patient care. But, that's true of the entire American Medical Complex. The real fuction of the the American medical system, if you do an analysis of how it is designed, is to generate profits for corporations. The goal of providing the best care to the most people is far down the list, if it is on it at all.

That leaves me, as a clinician, with a choice. If I play within the system I get to treat many people who need treatment, people who have worked hard to get health insurance, or those who can't work and are given insurance by a government. If I do that, I have to conform to many rules and get slightly exploited, because I really don't get paid what my services are worth. Or, I can opt out of the system, not take insurance payments, charge what I wnnt, be beholden only to my clients, and offer complete confidentiality, BUT only see people who can afford to pay for themselves. This limits the population greatly, and makes me wonder if those are the only people I want to serve.

I could compromise and try to do both, but, in reality I would ave to set up two offfices because there are not enough people in this mill city who could really afford on-going, self-pay therapy. I would have to use two marketing strategies, two networks, two appraoches. It gets complicated.

It is a choice I shouldn't have to make, but our profession never really got it together to make a strong enough case for us as a necessary and valuable service. We are smart, but disorganzied. We are caring, but generally not aggressive. We are a tiny voice in the medical system, and we really aren't that medical.

So, we are stuck, and each of us has to decide.

2 comments:

skinnylittleblonde said...

Eke...it sounds like they have you, as well as your patients, by the ,ahem, bawls.

Anonymous said...

I am someone who has had to depend on 'others' for my treatment. My step mother's health insurance as a kid. A program offered through a hospital as an adult (where I was able to get meds and therapy for free). And currently my husband's health insurance. I also racked up debt for a few years when I was insurance-less and had no choice but to go to an emergency room when things got bad.

I will soon be divorced and without health insurance. I no longer require therapy, just my one pill everyday prescribed by my primary care physician. I was scared to death as to what I was going to do without my insurance, which has been a big part of my peace of mind. I knew my meds would be there every month, and if needed, I could go back to therapy.
I cannot tell you the relief I felt when I found out my particular med is on the list of generic drugs that Walmart sells at $4 for a 30 day supply. (I also have other health issues, unrelated to my depression) for which I take meds for everyday). I know that without my med, I cannot 'live'. And I do NOT want to go back to how I was.
As a patient, who has been treated successfully with therapy, as well as a med, I can tell you my opinion.
People like me, who cannot afford to pay on our own, and depend on insurance or programs offered by facilities... we pray for therapists who are in this career field to help people, and not for the money. We realize you have to make a living. We know how much college cost you. But we're so in need of help, and without help who knows what would happen to us.
I know insurance companies underpay. I've seen the statements. I'm shocked myself. I never understand how such a small payment from an insurance company is accepted, but full payment is expected from those witout insurance.
Anyway. I hope you do help those who rely on their insurance for their help. I, and so many others are grateful to anyone who does.