Sunday, October 01, 2006

art?

This weekend we went with some friends to one of the better theater companies and saw a play called "The Pillowman." I hadn't read the reviews beforehand, so I didn't know what to expect. I saw the play and came home and looked up the reviews on-line. I learned that I had just seen a witty, Tony Award winning black comedy, with surpsing twists and startling insights.

What I thought I saw was a guresome three hours of torture, humiliation, child-abuse, child-murder, adult murder, more torture, ending with a man getting shot in he head on stage. It was a lot of laughs. Part of the message is that life is short and sad, but art endures. I wasn't buying it.

The day before I spent a professional hour with a man accused of exposing himself (he denies it). This man has been sexually abused by a family member and a priest. He is defensive, distrusting, distant and manipulative. I struggle to help him deal with his demons. I didn't find a lot of humor during that hour.

Most of the dramas I get taken to are about dysfunctional -- well, sick -- families. incestuous relationships, sociopathic brothers, controlling parents, serial killers. Either that or musical claptrap about overcoming your troubles with a song.

Life is tough, change doesn't come easily, and you still have to deal with all the crap, even after the dramatic moment is over.

But, what do I know, I only deal with bumers 32 hour a week.

Or, as Brian said,

as they nailed him to the cross:

"Always look on the bright side of Life..."

DJB

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for explaining the oxymoron of "black comedy"..i am glad to say i don't ever get the joke..

Unknown said...

Life can be extremely rough for some people. I have never heard of the play. I'm going to look it up.

findingonespath.blogspot.com