Sunday, October 22, 2006

All A Board

Last night I drove out of the small city in which I work. I hit the highway ramp and headed south to the larger, more prosperous and fashionable city that is the hub of our area. I was going to attended a fund-raiser for a worthy cause. I am at the age, and almost of the status, when it is proper for one to do such things.
Two-thirds of the people who were in attendance were even older than I am. Seventy-five per-cent were wealthier, many much more so. Most of them are the retired, caring-wealthy. You could tell who was whom, as the retired rich came in ther fancy play clothes, some in black-tie, others bedecked in subtle, but clearly expensive jewels. This is not a showy city. Showy is bad form here. It is one of the few place left in this country where old money is more influential than new. Those of us who came from work on this weeknight, looked wearier, and a bit rumpled.
Wine was poured, good cheese and tiny lamb chops were passed. The board members of this worthy organization wore little badges. They air-kissed everyone. I was happy to see those I know. We were all doing a good thing and we were being feed, feted and entertained in return.
I began to think how several of these caring-wealthy had worked hard for most of their lives, and how for others, the money was always just there. But now, as they all aged, they wanted to make sure that they were known for doing good works and for "giving back." There were here because they wanted to help the less fortunate of one kind or another. The fund-raisers this season are for those stricken with varios illnesses, the poor, the war-torn, the war-weary, the persecuted, the prosecuted, those discriminated against, the lonely and the lost.
The people at the fund-raiser wanted to help turn the tide, right the wrong and relieve the misery-- perhaps some of which they may have (inadvertently) caused.
I realized, that what they were striving for was what I do. I work with the lonely and lost, the sick and confused. Often many of my clients are poor and downtrodden, economically and soically disadvantaged. I also realized that the reimbursement I get for doing this work has been diminishing for years. For while the head of a so-called health care organization is being indicted for swindling tens of millions of dollars by rigging stock options, the amount that his organization pays psychologists has not changed for fifteen years. And that organization, much like the one run by the family of our current Senate Majority Leader, is busy buying other health care organizations and lowering the fees they pay to those who provide care.
Therefore doing this work, at least doing it in the way that benefits those who need it most, and those who go to work so that the burden on their health care costs can be shared, is a losing proposition.
It was then that I realized that I needed a Board of Directors for my practice. I need a group of caring-wealthy who will dress up and come to my party, and also raise a lot of money.
I will take the money and continue to do good work. I will help the sick and confused, the lost and the lonely, and even the soft and the spoiled if the Board so directs me. I will allow them to feel that their efforts, and their cash, is going to a good cause, and that together we can improve the world!
Any volunteers?

DJB

1 comment:

TGS said...

Very nice. What you said was true. Good work, as always!