Thursday, July 05, 2007

John and me

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Our old 60s guru John Lennon said that. It's certainly true when yuu're trying to go on vacation, especially if you have a small house near the beach that everyone can get to easily.

I'm here. I want to sit in the sun, watch the waves and mumble incoherently -- no wait, that's what I do for work. But anyway, I don't want to think about anyone, or what they are doing or why.

But our good friend is here, and she is divorced and planning her kids wedding and has to deal wit her ex and his new woman, and all his cries of poor-me and poverty.


Then my niece comes, she is in the middle of her divorce. She comes with her kid, who is sixteen months. And that's great because he can relate to me on my level and we can throw sand at the waves together and think that is really cool.

And my wife's cousin is getting married, at forty-five and we have to bring her father who is 94 and is trying to remember how he knows these people. And my wife's sister is angry at us again, for reasons that don't make any sense but have been repeated for thirty years.

My sister just got out of the hospital. My brother-in-law still can hardly move his arm.

My kids want to get us out of the house so they can come to the beach without us bothering them.

AND, my team lost the other day because I was down here and didn't get to pitch.

Things just continue. whether you want them, expect them, design them or just stand there.

Life happens. Pay attention or you'll miss it.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

That has always been one of my favorite sayings, but I didn't know that John Lennon said it first. Now I like it even more. I am sorry that your vacation is turning out to be a bit of pandemonium, for some reason, I thought that your vacations would be more normal, less stressful, with less wacko family than the rest of us would have. Thanks for the post, it made me smile. Chin up, old boy, life will get back to normal in a little while. teehee...

clairem said...

on holiday again?? Rome seems to have been only recently... no complaints allowed, then :-)

Ms. Meander said...

i find it comforting, honestly. no matter how bad things get, if you can just hold on long enough everything changes. well...given that you don't respond to it the same way every time, anyway.