Sunday, July 15, 2007

Use Your Brain, Part 6

One of the points I seem to be stressing ( and stressing about) on this blog is to find a way to help people take advantage of that marvelous and complex mass of protoplasm that they have inside their skulls. For all we know it may be the most unique such structure in all of the universe.

When used correctly it can solve all kind of problems and make the world a better place for everyone. But, sadly, most people are lazy and don't push it hard to make it perform.

I had two marked experiences this weekend. We were in a not so far away city, a big city, full of people, traffic and cheap restaurants. We had ordered a few sandwiches and when we went to get them there was a mix-up: one was missing, one was wrong, stuff like that. We pointed it out to the person at the counter. She stared back at us. Slowly, we instructed her about how to make the necessary changes. You would have thought we were teaching her how to tie her shoes. She didn't care. She wasn't too interested, and she did what we wanted just to get rid of us. Clearly, she didn't feel the problems were related to her.

Two days later I'm back in my home city, an overly intellectual haven with a good educational system and aspiring, up-beat kids. One was working at the pizza place when I walked in to pick up my order. No order was there for me. But this kid quickly and in a friendly encouraging tone began to trouble-shoot the problem and offer solutions. Within ninety seconds the confusion was resolved and I left with a very good pizza.

Again, I maintain that the difference is not "natural intelligence." It has much more to do with expectations, encouragement, good feed back, good teachers and and an atmosphere that expects and rewards competence.

Problems, even complex ones, even those in your life, can be solved. Think about them, then a few steps a head. Try a new approach. Don't be afraid to be wrong. Enjoy the process of fitting the pieces together.

Remember what H.L. Mencken said: "For every complex problem there is a simple solution, that is always wrong."

Apply that to our current administration, and then the Middle East.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree more. I get so frustrated with the service industry...

Could it be that the expectations I have are simply ridiculous?

Jamie said...

I honestly think that "problem solving' should be taught in high school and college, maybe even be a major----I can't see it now, new television show: magnum p.s. teehee

Amanda said...

Not meant as an excuse, just a fact: Nobody ever taught me to use my brain. They didn't know how to use theirs either.

I still remember the first time I met someone who knew how to use their brain. I was in shock for quite a while.

Patty said...

I concure whole heartedly, but share your feelings about the other end of the spectrum...Those that OVER think everything to the point that they never get around to acting. Just as frustrating to watch in my opinion.