Sunday, August 22, 2010

Out of office, and out of....it

I am still away.  It's kind of weird to be away this long.  It is good for my head.  I think of some of my clients once in a while and wonder what's going on.  I kind of miss them, mostly just as people, but not really the work of figuring out what to do and how to make it happen. I think of some of them and it seems as if through a fog.  They are from such a different part of my life.  I am here, in this vacation spot with friends and family wandering in and out. I talk or don't talk.  I don't have to pay much attention if I don't feel like it. Some people drone on about whatever.... It's great: I don't have to listen.  When I do respond I don't have to make much sense.  That certainly takes the burden off.

I'm like that.  My mind takes what someone is saying and shoots off, usually in a totally unrelated direction.  It jumps and skips steps.  Then I make a comment about where it has led me.  People kind of look up and then go back to whatever they were talking about.  Most of my friends expect that. They often can comment, and we go on from there.   That's why we are still friends.  The other ones, like my wife's friends' husbands, they don't know quite how to respond, or how the hell to deal with me.

Sometimes we talk about golf.

I have been getting to exercise a lot more.  It surprising how well you can take care of yourself when you don't have to take care of anyone else. I get to stretch, and then to really exert myself in a few ways, which I had not been doing since my eye got messed up.  I was surprised at how much I missed that. Getting my heart pumping and sweating and breathing heavy really makes me feel alive and part of it; whatever "it" is.  Some people hate to feel that way.  I really missed it.

What is sad is how little it takes to make that happen now. But hey, as the song says: " I can go as fast as I used to, and I can go as long as I used to, but I can't go that fast for that long any more."

Sometimes when I take my grand-dog (the one in the picture there) for a walk, and she pulls me around for two miles, I count that as exercise.  I never would have used to do that.

Just trying to stay healthy.  Just trying to stay alive.  Just trying to keep my wits about me without embarrassing my wife too much.

Just sometimes.

No comments: