Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Upon my return

There is something very comforting to me about returning to my office.  I did not get the "back to school jitters."  Starting about thirty hours before I returned I was getting eager to see how most people were faring.  I was not eager to see how everyone was doing as some people will not be changing much. They make my life tough.

But I guess it is very easy for me, after all these years to settle back into my role, to return to the task, to try to move things forward.  It's not easy, but it feels like the place I should be. I should be thinking, at this stage of my life, of how to make changes in myself.  I know that they won't come to me.  But I don't.  I go back to what I do; what I know.

But three weeks is really a long time it seems because a lot had changed for many people. It seems that some people need a good dope-slap every week or two or they tend to wander off the rails.  Is this psychotherapy?  I guess.

AB got upset at her parents and tried to jump out of the car -- in the middle of traffic at 40 mph.  They put her in the hospital for three days and on meds.  I don't know if that was the best solution, but everyone got worried.

CD, under pressure from his girlfriend, turned himself in to the probation officer he had not seen in four months.  I will see him next week when he gets out.

Paul, you remember him, called  to say he would like to come back, but he is in FL, trying to stay sober.  He will call when he returns.  I will see him if he calls.

EF's father died. as did GH's mother. IJ's husband's father had a heart attack. JK put her brother in hospice.  They won't let him drink.

LM got evicted. but she found a new place.  She left her boyfriend behind.

MN said her husband slapped her. She had accused him of cheating on her -- after she came home from spending the afternoon in bed with the man across the street.

OP is going back to school.  Two days after she signed up for classes, her husband lost his job.  Good he can stay home with the kids.  But who will pay the mortgage?

RS called.  Her cancer is gone.  She was strong and up-beat through seven months of treatment.  Now she wants to come in and cry, in private, in my office.

There is something very unsettling going on out there.  Everyone feels that things are bad and about to get worse.  No one has any trust.  The current divisive political system cannot deal with things.  Things are very complex, and many disparent people will need to work together to make things better.

They won't. Not a chance.

It's only Tuesday.

2 comments:

jane said...

welcome back from vacation!

Raine said...

thats alot to have happened in just a few weeks