Monday, October 03, 2011

The new one

Things went OK!
She (it's a she) is home now.
The mother was banged up a bit, but I hear childbrith can get nasty.  But that was two days ago and now everyone is home.

All kinds of family clustered around to hold the pink bundle of warmth.  The kid seemed to take it in stride, as long as she got feed every two or three hours.  She is good tempered, very nicely shaped, and will keep getting better and better.

I am very appreciative that both of my granddaughters live within twenty minutes of where my wife and I have settled.  I will see them often and stick my nose into their business.  However, what I really would like would be to buy one of those big Victorian houses that fill up the next town, and put each family in on a different floor.  I would give everyone their privacy, but I would have access to making sure that everything went along as I wish.

I am not a controlling person, that is certainly not my style, and I know that it doesn't work.  I couldn't be in the profession I am in if I ever beleived that people would listen and do what they are told. But I like to have influence.  There are ways to be a factor in what needs to happen and to apply a few gentle taps and make sure it goes that way.

Yes, you may say, but your children are parents now, and they will raise these kids in the way that is best for their famiies and their times. And yes, ther is some merit to that.  My parents always stayed at some distance except for periodic visits, and my wife's parents vanished into the sunshine. 

But I am now the patriarch of the family, and I will steer this ship, and I have a good idea what the course should be.  Age and wisdom should be honored and respected.

So, when can we start playing Candy Land, or do we have do that with an App?

1 comment:

Forsythia said...

You are a good grandpa! I refuse to play Candyland, but I am now paying for that refusal by housing 99% of our grandson's legos at our house in the so-called Lego Room. (Used to be Mom's room.)

Congratulations on the new grandbaby.